Siberian Huskies are working dogs that were bred to pull sledges in the Arctic wilderness. Circumstances have influenced the diet of these active dogs to consist mainly of highly concentrated animal proteins and fat. And unlike many other breeds, Husky breed is very good at deriving energy from fats as opposed to carbohydrates.
Table of Contents
I may be sometimes complicated for pet owners to figure out how to feed Huskies and what the best dog food for Huskies is among commercial brands, especially if they try to modify the diet based on what the breed has evolved to consume. Fortunately, a Husky is rarely a picky eater and there are many options available.
The below five dog food brands are what I often recommend to Husky dog owners in my veterinary practice. Ingredients and macronutrient ratio is nearly perfect for the breed.
How Much Food Adult Husky Eats?
Male adult Huskies will usually go up in weight to approx. 60 pounds (27 kg), while females can reach up to 51 pounds (23 kg) in size. Such an adult Husky that is not a working or athletic pet will need approximately 1100 to 1200 calories per day.
However, the exact number of calories for Huskies will vary. It can be anywhere from 1000 kcal for older Husky dogs, and up to 1800 kcal for young and more active males. Even though this breed eats less than other dogs of the same weight, it requires food that contains at least 40% protein, 25% fats, and 5% fiber (on average).
Depending on the activity of each Husky dog, they will eat 2.5 cups of food a day. It looks like a small amount, but the quality, ingredients and macronutrient composition of the dog food brand should offset the quantity. High quality dog food for Huskies is often rich in calories and contains from 400 to 500 calories per cup.
Note that other factors, such as your Husky dog’s current health condition and especially activity levels will determine the exact number of calories. For example, working dogs or athletic dogs that compete in sports can consume 500 and more extra calories. It’s crucial to discuss caloric amount and best Husky dog food brands with your veterinarian.
Essential Ingredients for Huskies
Most foods for Huskies contain just 30 to 35% proteins, which means that they need an additional source of this essential ingredient. These dogs need to eat meat products, including chicken, duck, lamb, and game meat.
Fats are crucial in hormone production and building the immune system. Omega 3 and 6 are the essential fats each Huskey need to intake daily through poultry fat, salmon, sunflower, and flaxseed oils.
In general, Huskies don’t need a lot of carbs. Moreover, yeast, soy, wheat, and corn may cause weight gain and stomach upsets in these dogs. Therefore, it is necessary to avoid food full of these ingredients.
Vitamin, mineral, and antioxidants requirements
The requirements for vitamins depend on the age of the Husky and its overall health condition. For example, puppies will need a proper, 2:1 ratio of calcium and phosphorous.
Elder Huskies need vitamin A to avoid corneal problems and vitamin B9 to protect it from anemia. The quickest way for the dog to get all these beneficial ingredients is through a variety of vegetables and fruit.
Foods to avoid
Just like most other dog breeds, Huskies should not eat:
- Grains, including soy, wheat, and corn (non-essential)
- Chocolate, grapes, coffee/caffeine, and raisins (toxic)
- Dairy products, milk by-products, whey, and cheese (non-essential)
5 Best Dog Foods for Huskies
1 Crave High Protein Food for Adult Dogs
It is a high-quality dog food for Huskies that contains a fantastic balance of animal proteins such as turkey and lamb pate with 78% moisture, 12% protein, and 7% fat. Almost 99% of the protein comes from meat, which provides enough energy even for highly active Siberian Husky dogs.
- This dog food for Husky breed will satisfy most picky eaters (even if Huskies generally aren’t) and contains a perfect mix of animal proteins: turkey, lamb, and real chicken pate
- It is suitable for Husky dogs of any size
- It doesn’t include chicken by-products, corn, soy, or wheat, as well as artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- Due to increased demand, the manufacturer sometimes reduces product offer, making the availability of this food irregular
2 Wellness CORE RawRev Dog Food
by Wellness Pet Food
A raw/BARF diet with turkey is the closest match for regular Husky feeding, or in other words, the type of diet that Husky breed evolved to consume not only in the wild but during domestication and being bred for their activities. With 36% protein and 16% fat, this particular raw-based kibble dog food can fill all the nutritional needs of every dog.
- Quality protein and the right percentage of fatty acids from ground flaxseed, salmon oil, and chicken fat, are highly beneficial for active Huskies
- This food contains chondroitin and glucosamine, which improve the joint strength
- Thanks to ingredients, such as chicken liver, carrots, kale, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and blueberries, it is the food rich in minerals and vitamins A and D
- It is a highly expensive food
3 Orijen Dry Food for Adult Dogs
As always, Orijen offers high-quality recipes full of fresh ingredients. Every bag contains 38% protein, 18% fat, and Omega 3 necessary for the excellent progress of every Husky breed dog. Your Huskies will enjoy a range of meats in this pet food brand, including chicken, turkey, as well as fish such as herring, flounder, sardine, and mackerel.
- This Husky dog food contains high-quality ingredients, including 85% of meat and 15% of fresh vegetables and fruits
- Thanks to adequate content that includes blueberries, carrots, and kale, this particular food is an excellent choice to improve eye health and support the thyroids and joints
- Huskies like the taste of this food
- It seems that the manufacturer has changed the previous formula, which now contains under 480 calories per cup
- It is a quite expensive dog food
- This kibble may cause vomiting in sensitive dogs
4 Taste of The Wild Dry Dog Food for Huskies
by Taste of the Wild
It is a very popular dry dog food for Huskies that contains salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, blueberries, and raspberries. Plus, the manufacturer provides a tasty canned formula, as well. With 25% protein and 15% fat content, this dog food is an ideal choice for active Huskies.
- The right percentage of Omega fatty acids to keep the Huskies’ fur shiny and thick
- It contains vitamins D and E, necessary amino acids, and taurine
- An adequate level of zinc supports the normal function of the thyroid gland and prevent the occurrence of zinc-responsive dermatosis
- This grain-free food contains probiotics that keep the gastrointestinal tract healthy
- Without preservatives, artificial flavors, colors, and fillers, this is one of the best foods for Huskies made in the USA
- Kibble can be crumbly, and their size sometimes doesn’t suit every dog
- It is quite an expensive dog food
- Some dogs ask for more water while eating this food
5 Blue Buffalo Husky Dry Dog Food
by Blue Buffalo
An excellent thing about this particular food is that it can fulfill the nutritional needs of both small and large dogs, as well as seniors and those that have a problem with overweight. High-quality ingredients, including real chicken meat, vegetables, and fruits, makes this a perfectly balanced pet food for Huskies.
- This Husky dog food, full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, is an ideal choice for Huskies with sensitive stomachs
- It doesn’t contain artificial flavors, poultry by-product meals, preservatives, soy, corn, or wheat
- Dogs like the taste of this food made in the USA
- It is a bit expensive dog food
- Kibbles are quite small, and not suitable for a large breed
READ NEXT: 10 Vet Recommended Dog Food Brands That Are Inexpensive
Want to share this?
Share if you enjoyed this post!